Wednesday, December 14, 2005

It's been awhile...








I was thinking about a thesis for this site. I thought, who is my audience? I initially thought, only I and some close friends. But now, I think many eyes check this spot out on the net, just for a minute or two. So, with that in mind, I was thinking to tweak the content a bit, stick to just telling stories that happen to "me". My struggle with the site initially as I saw it develop was that with each post, I began to see just photos and verbage describing a fun, happy experience to some regular guy from northeastern ohio, and I thought, the world is anything but happy and fun at the moment. With each story that was told around me, it seemed to be the 180 degree opposite of everything that I was posting. I thought, what is the point of telling a cheery happy story at this time?? Each of my posts tell a bit about me, my ideas, my angst, my politics, my general persception, warped as it may, of the world.. but what story do I really want to tell? So, what the heck, I will just stick to the journey that unfolds before me.

So what do I notice about living in the Netherlands??
Living here in December. I can't believe the less one hour daylight makes on your bio rhythms. The sun finally comes up around 8 or a little after, especially dark with all the cloud cover, and goes down, hmmm, usually I am working, but I think it goes down around 4:30...
With no snow, to reflect any ambient light, it is really dark all of the time. So now I work out and run, to combat this, we'll see if I can stay positive or succumb to the prevailing darkness???

This last weekend, went to Hassalt on Saturday and Brussels on Sunday. Both cities are in Belgium. I really like Belgium! One of the pics was taken in Hassalt, the one with the Christmas Tree in the town square, and the Donkeys as well, those were taken for Dale!! They just hang out in the stable, part of the "manger" nativity scene that is setup next to them.
Near them also, is a outdoor Christmas market, equipped with a pub. Tiny wooden structures with a bar and heat lamps and garlin, and cool crisp december air, perfect for Christmas spirit.

The market place, or Winkelstraat, was packed with people! It was great to see everyone strolling from shop to shop in the open air, even on such a chilly day. The sun was out, but it was so low on the horizon that you have to side step and shuffle across the cobblestones to catch a bit of the fleeting rays.

I bought some gifts, for some lucky people in the States. Now just have to get them into the Post ASAP!

Saturday Night, went to the discoteque next to my building called "de effenaar", no idea what that means, but it is a pretty sweet place in Eindhoven, anyone that comes, here, whether for business or to see me, you should pay a visit to this place, if you like to dance...even if you don't there is a pub inside as well.
Somehow managed to rise early the next morning, to catch what I consider the most beautiful sunrise I have ever seen. I was too tired, "hung over", to get my camera and snap a shot, but it was beautiful. The orange color was so bold, and because of the small angle on the horizon the color remained for quite awhile...
Managed to get out of bed, sometime after the sun, passed the first layer of low hanging clouds, and made it down to the car, and powered my way onward to Brussels, with water bottle in hand! Water always makes you feel better!
Anyway, it only took about an hour and half to get there. This city is big. Very much the capital of European Union. Anyone driving into Brussels from the north, I suggest parking at the North Railway station, as I did, and walk down to the city center. This route was flawless and very easy to navigate.
Met up with my friend Debbie, from Cleveland! We had lunch in what I would think reminded me of a Latin Quarter section of town, but not sure of the name, but it was near Rue d' Adolf Max and the main plaza of the city center. I had mussels and frites. Belgian Fries, and yes they were Prima!!
After "midday chow" , tom g, we wandered through city, stopping at stores, to window shop but for others, like the small chocolate shop, purchased some damn good chocolate. Also for the record, in the candy shop, I saw the most beautiful woman I have ever seen, I just smiled. And said, "thanks... Au re voir!!" Lame... but i was frozen in shock...
We found the Mennekin Pis, a statue of a boy taking a piss.. boy, that was exciting, let me tell you...
Then we wandered up to the cathedral, where we popped in on "revival' type of prayer service. Around the side aisles were nativity scenes from different cultures that represent the Catholic church in Brussels. It was neat to see the cultural nuances on the scene.
As we exited, noticed that the shadows were getting long on the streets... so, had to bounce. Said ciao in front of the hotel, and made my way back to Holland. Sweet day, sweet weekend. Wish you all were here, to hang out and cruise with me, it really is cool, but you know me, I dig this kind of stuff.

Oh yeah, one of the pics, is Jim Morrison's grave and the other is Paris taken from Montemarte(Sacre Cour).

1 Comments:

Blogger Sober in Chicago said...

im feeling that picture of mr. mojo risin, thats some cool shit considering it would have been his 62nd on Dec. 8th... im guessing thats why the flowers are fresh...was there some kind of tribute? also, i can't wait to come out to go to a discoteca and dance my ass off... yea right... i'll stick to the pub scene

7:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home