Thursday, June 01, 2006

I bought a bike!

I bought a bike today. Check it out http://www.dahon.com/intl/boardwalkd3.htm

I went on my first ride this evening to a colleagues home for dinner. What a smooth ride. It is indeed a mindset to take on such a task in the US, because of the greater distances, but I am going to do it. The commute that is, by bus and bike. It folds so no need to bother fellow passengers with a bike. Just hop off the bus or train, and on your way. Personal independence. Yeah, when it rains, sure, it may suck, but that is what rain slicks are for. The only bad thing is the routes you pick. Because no long distance commute paths exist in the Cleveland you have to be sort of a maverick to take on the road rage of fellow clevelanders commuting in the 1 ton SUV's. The sidewalks typically suck royally so that is not an option. I am a bit nervous about the whole operation because I know how cleveland drivers are, in that a cyclist actually becomes a target for their bumper. Philistines i tell you.

So, we will see. I am determined now, but I know the dead reality of the petrol nation, so it is going to be a serious challenge for me. Do you think I am up for it? Commuting to work by bus and bike? What is it from DTC or C Heights, 15miles or 7 miles? 22km or 11km...?? The distance from Eindhoven to Best where I work now is 12 km one way. And that is very do able by bike. So, what is double the distance, just another 60 minutes onto the commute? And you feel good doing it!! Blood flowing, wind in my "eyebrows"..... nice!!

If I use the bus in conjunction it will be less. Even though the bus sucks royally in c-land. It is like a game of Zelda to figure on when the next bus will arrive or finding the proper stopping point.

I guess I will have to get a big sign on me, please don't hit me, I am biking to work!!

Ask yourself this, what concrete contractor got paid to install all the shitty shifting sidewalk plates in Northeast Ohio? If they just put assphault down instead of concrete it could be a multi-use lane, bikes and pedestrians. And it wouldn't shift and would be smooth easier to maintain... etc. etc... I hope I am not being to european here.... oh, wait, I probably am... sorry.that will cost tax dollars... oops. speaking of which. Bush just helped usher in a new tax penalty for all US citizens living abroad. The government wants money to build the gadson wall of arizona!! Nice move! Not!

I just want to live free from driving four metal walls everywhere I go. I think this is a recurring theme, check the beginning of this blog to find out.... Did you know The phrase Drive Thru does not exist in the Dutch or German language. I wonder if other languages have this ingenious word phrase and not just the cognate form either.

Anyway, I am positive about it nonetheless. ON another note: I just made a deal with some colleagues here in Eindhoven, that if they send me Frites Sauce if I will send them nuts from Trader Joes. Flock shipping and exporting is established.



out people.

1 Comments:

Blogger EW said...

Nice bike, Flock!

Technically concrete lasts longer than asphalt if correctly poured...

10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home