Friday, June 02, 2006

Indonesia earthquake

An extended family member of mine, somehow we are related, is living in Indonesia right now. I have been getting these email updates fowarded to me recently with the current earthquake events that have been occurring there. I am copying her email into the text here and will attempt to upload some of the photos as well. I think relief/humanitarian effort in financial support often gets channeled through large not for profits or just large organizations and a percentage of the donation goes to adminstrative costs. Well, it seems my relative has ad hoc started a relief fund for the earthquake victims in that she is actually living there as a student and has access to withdraw via ATM funds from her bank account and provide needed funds to assist in the locals in these first crucial days after the natural disaster. Have a look at her email below. Regards Jim

Dear Friends,

As I've described in earlier e-mails, the recent earthquake in Indonesia was centered in the city of Yogakarta, which I've lived in for the past year. The residents are still in a desperate state of need. Help is coming, but tends to be very disorganized and not always goes directly to the needy. People are hungry, homeless, sleeping out in the rain, many without tents or blankets, and basically need help. If there's anyone who wants to help by sending a donation, which could be as little as five dollars (believe me, money goes a long way here - five bucks can feed a family for about a week), I will be working with friends and organizations in Yogya and be giving the supplies that we buy directly to those in need.

I promise that if you do send money I will be very specific with the people that I give it to, mainly focusing on using it directly for the villages in need, from buying food to feeding hungry children and families, plastic coverings and tarps to help protect people from the rain, helping people who've lost everything to get out of Yogya and stay with their families somewhere else, and of course, working to help rebuild the thousands of homes that have been demolished. Half of my friends don't have a place to live in addition to the thousands of others that are homeless. I have a huge network of friends and organization workers in Yogya, and not one penny of any donation money will be wasted.

My mother has access to my bank account, so those that are interested and able to can send a check written to me, Emily White, to my mother's home. She will put it directly into my account. My mother will be keeping track and keeping me up-to-date on every donation. From here I can access banks in Yogya (and don't worry, there are ATMs still available), take the money out, and put it directly where it's needed. Please address your envelope to:

Diane McWilliams
Emilia White Relief Fund
912 Wright Street
Santa Rosa, CA 95404

Thank you so much for your understanding, and any help you are able to provide. It's a sad thing that's happened but, hopefully, in the end people will come together, help each other, and see beauty in all forms of life, even if at the moment it feels like the end of the world. Lots of love to you all, take good care. Love always, Emilia

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home