Thursday, June 15, 2006

soccer or football

Using the wikapedia thing, I found out that soccer is actually an english word. The english came up with it, but then they changed back to football. Figures, hang the em' out to dry.. So soccer, I am going to call it that, because it is the english word for the game called in romance language speaking europe called football, among many other languages as well, it is known as football, but english, well, we call it soccer. Anyway, I watched a match last night, in an Irish pub in Eindhoven and it was awesome!!! Germany vs. Poland, wow!! What a match, 0 0 until the 90 minute when Germany finally jammed in a goal! Wow, what tension building the entire game, I could feel it all the way in Eindhoven.
Soccer, more specifically the world championship or the (cup) is great way to see different styles of play. For example, the Germans, they finish the job. They may "fart" around but in the end they "make" it right, and get it done. The Dutch team, well from what I have seen, they play just enough to go ahead, then let 'em bleed. The Serbs played the Dutch very well, but lacked passion to put them in the victory column for that match. Brasil vs Croatia, locals said it was a "boring" game, but as an american, protected by major media outlets in the states from the sport of just funny europeans running around after a round ball, I had litle expectations for the match. I thought it was great. The Brasilian team is methodical, and slow moving like syrup in cold weather, some how they turn on the speed in short bursts when needed, but despite this slow tactical play, they always seemed to remain in control of the ball. The Croats are no push over team either, they play a style in my opinion similar to the Germans, but lack the final "get it done" approach. It was all very interesting to watch. And for me, a student of culture and history, I love to draw social conclusions based on the play of the teams. It is exciting actually to watch the enthusiam as each national team play for it's position on the world stage. Yeah, it is only soccer, a silly game, but consider the passion, energy and time spent on tailgating at a Browns game, it is the same, but with this, supporters not only want their team to win, but when their country wins, they get recognized world wide. Pretty cool. One thing about the Dutch fans, whenever they national team plays, the fans in attendance for the Dutch all wear ORANGE, ORANJE... It is great, to see a see of orange. I mean every supporter, wears orange. I was pulling for Serbia on Sunday at the game, so I wore my vote for pedro shirt... it was clean.
What can I say? I like 220volts, radio commercials that say, ".nl" all the time, fietspads, student night thursdays at tomas, dark beer, passenger trains, people whistling at work, the Centrum, tradition, cheesy european 80's music(don't get me started on this one) a bar conversation one time...and I like my bike!

anyway.. I will enjoy seeing you all and catching up and discussing the passing of time in our lives.
cheers

oh, one pic, from Haarlem up "north of the rivers".. that is the term the folks from Brabant and Limburg refer to those in the north of the country.

6 Comments:

Blogger trainwreck said...

no scoring equals BORING.

6:28 AM  
Blogger flockjcu said...

nope, wrong my friend!!! You should have seen it. It was like when you meet a woman that is hot and you are so attracted too, you can hardly "wait"..... but and I do me BUT, you wait. The tension builds and builds, it is amazing what emotion does on a human being. The same was true for the low scoring game of germany vs. poland. i wish you could have been there with me to see it, and see all the blond fit dutch woman! I think, you would have changed your tune... no pun.. RF ...hahahaha

3:43 PM  
Blogger Teresa said...

GO ITALY!!!!!! THEY ARE SO HOT!!!!!
I get you on the tension building thing with someone you are interested in. Sometimes the best part is just the anticipation... the emotion there is great! Why do you think so many guys dump a girl after he blows a load? Intensity just isn't there. I watched the Swedish/Trinidad game! Man it was crazy and at the end NOTHING!!! NOTHING AT ALL!!! ITALY VS. US on SATURDAY!!! GO ITALY!!! If they make the play offs, I will be in Italy during that time! It will be great!

6:55 PM  
Blogger flockjcu said...

Italy went alright!! They scored both goals!!! Nice punt to get the draw. It may be enough to get to second round. But the next game they need to score actually.

1:59 PM  
Blogger trainwreck said...

90 minutes of wasted time...

7:11 AM  
Blogger flockjcu said...

I disagree, actually tonights game was quite good. Spain vs. Tunisia. Not wasted time at all. I am not sure, the reasons, even though I have my own opinions, on as to why the game is not more popular at professional level in the US. It is indeed a pity, because, as the US the talent pool is huge. Maybe FIFA and NFL/NBA lobbyists have something to do with it. To much politics and revenues lost, sharing the market, to many concessions to be made... bla, bla, bla. Everything that you don't want to think about when watching a sports game. When would the season be? All that political crap that I always talk about. Anyway, the championship has been great!!

2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home