Monday, December 26, 2005

Happy Holidays from Slovenia


I spent Christmas in a town called Slovenj Gradec. Quite near Austria, it is in the north middle of the country.

The weather is cold and snowy and reminds me of Cleveland. However, much warmth is felt indoors where friends and family gather to spend these moments with people they care about. This Christmas George got me to a church in Slovenj Gradec exactly at 00:00, he is like a proven package delivery service, just on time, all the time.
As we walked up to the church, there were young people gathered around the doorway. The entrance hymn had just finished and there was more or less a line to get inside. Amazing, I have never witnessed anything quite like this in all my years of attending mass. George and I stood just outside the doorway in silence while some of the youth carryed on conversations, but inside, only the Priest spoke. I stood there until just after the homily, then leaned to George and said, "I'm going in!" He nodded in agreement, and I made my way. Silently and peacefully I squeezed past fellows in attendence. I got in just past the doorway, not that far. I removed my hat, but I could still feel the cold air pressed up against the back of my legs.
With one more good push, I could be up to the middle of the main aisle. It took me until communion, but I made it. I didn't mind, I was there, and the sight was awesome. So many in attendance and such a good feeling in that cold stone church.
After mass, checked out the nativity scene and then headed out. Ironically, I was the last one out of the church, really, aside from the priest and clergy. When I exited, I found Jure and also Davor, he had just arrived. He wondered what happened to me, how come I was the last one out, I said, "man, I was praying for you, and that takes time!!" So, we headed off to Jure's friend's flat in the crisp cold night.
From there, we had a nice evening/morning drinking shots and eating. We headed to a pub around 3 or so... now that is a Christmas tradition to hold onto.
Best wishes to all.
Check the photo Gallery for some updated pics from the evening and Christmas day!!

4 Comments:

Blogger Sober in Chicago said...

countdown is three.... happy holidays

6:40 AM  
Blogger flockjcu said...

dude, i am going to miss your drunk ass in cleveland!!!
and I am not even there!!!
I am glad you said your piece on the ODU before you left. That sentiment resonates across three countries!!!!

Enjoy the new year with your friends!! And rock it out in 06 in the heart of the midwest!

8:23 AM  
Blogger EW said...

Sweet - looks like you had a good time for Christmas.

About time we got rid of that good for nothinig intern and reclaimed the deskspace. Make me some cables bitch! :P

6:42 PM  
Blogger flockjcu said...

Po pimp!!
admit it, you are going to miss the SI!

more than just cable construction too.

now who is going to be your whipping boy???

8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home